The History of Buccaneer Hill

History

First built in the late 1800's Buccaneer Hill was presumably home to one of Governor's Harbour's prominent families. After falling into disrepair in the early 20th Century the house was purchased by a travel writer named K. Helweg-Larsen who rescued the derelict structure while visiting the island on his honeymoon. He and his wife spent several years restoring the house and expanding the property. They added the buttressed eastern wing as well as the cottage, which they used as an art gallery and writers studio.

Mr/Mrs Helweg-Larsen wrote several travel books on their adventures throughout the Caribbean including an entire book on Eleuthera entitled, “From Arawaks to Astronauts”. In another work “Caribbean Cocktail”, a full chapter: 'How not to Build a House', details the expansionary work done on the property and the trials in overseeing this from Europe. The couple were responsible for planting many of the mature fruit trees you see and were also proprietors of the original “Buccaneer Club” located at the bottom of the hill.

In 2008 the current owners bought the property and spent 2 years restoring and modernizing the house, adding a pool and reconfiguring the gardens – all with an eye to ensuring the magic of this historic colonial residence would be maintained.

Photos

Click Images to enlarge